Sunday 23 November 2014

Books are mirrors: you only see in them what you already have inside you.



My favourite book is without a doubt 'The Shadow of the Wind' by Carlos Ruíz Zafón. I first read it when I was way too young to comprehend every detail of the plot but it drew me in from the first sentence. The next paragraph describes perfectly what 'The Shadow of the Wind' means to me:
Once, in my father's bookshop, I heard a regular customer say that few things leave a deeper mark on a reader than the first book that finds its way into his heart. Those first images, the echo of words we think we have left behind, accompany us throughout our lives and sculpt a palace in our memory to which, sooner or later - no matter how many books we read, how many worlds we discover, or how much we learn or forget - we will return. — The Shadow of the Wind.
Set in post-war Barcelona, this book tells the story of a boy who is led by his father to a mystery place called 'the Cemetery of Forgotten Books', where he found a cursed book that will change his life. It involves a tragic love story projecting over time. 'The Shadow of the Wind' is the first of the four novels that complete the 'Cemetery of Forgotten Books' saga. Zafón's style is characterized by its impeccable technique and gothic aesthetics. He makes you believe it's you who is living what he's describing. For all of this I highly recommend it to everyone who love reading.      

And now... I'm going to reread it! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for e-mailing me, Cintia. Keep on posting!

    ReplyDelete